When you think of summer, what comes to mind? For me, it is vacation at the beach or mountains, ice cream, swimming, air-conditioning, fun fruity cocktails, and grilling outside on the patio with my family, plus much more, but I have to stop somewhere! In regard to fashion, I think of sundresses, light airy tops, swimsuits, white, white and more white and shorts. I used to not like shorts, felt they werent as comfortable as dresses and I didn’t feel dressed up enough. However, one can style their shorts to look just as put together as if one had a summery dress on.
When we went to visit relatives over the Memorial Day weekend, in Pennsylvania, I thought I would get some much needed reprieve from the heat. However, it was just as hot and humid there around 90 degrees with the humidity just as high. Coming back, it is now in the 90s and time to dress for the weather. Soon, however, we will be off to the beach, NC’s Outer Banks, and I can’t wait for a much needed vacation! I will pack one pair of shorts in my lightly packed suitcase.
I do love dresses as you know, but sometimes the weather may call for something more casual, but put together. I however, think one can dress up shorts. I am not talking about gym or yoga shorts here, but rather tailored shorts. I do wear what I like ( wink) and this can be shorts with a 4 inch inseam, or a 6 inch inseam. I am not a fan of Bermuda shorts for myself, as I don’t mind exposing my legs, especially in the heat. I do enjoy wearing tailored shorts and this pattern reminded me of a French wall pattern in its blue and tan design. One could certainly dress casually in these, with slip on sneakers, and perhaps a graphic tee, as an example. However, today I am giving you some tips on wearing shorts over 40, and show how I styled them to be more dressy for a nice afternoon out for lunch, or a visit to a Vineyard to name a few
Tips on Wearing Shorts after 40:
- Quality of fabric is important. Here I am wearing a more structured flat front short. Look for material that is structured not a short that one would wear to the gym!
- There are many inseams being sold. I will wear a 4 inch inseam, ( yesterday’s post ) these are 6 inches. The main key is to remember to dress for your body, not worry about any preconceived notions that over 40 means one can’t wear shorts!
- Try dressing them up with a silky blouse and some strappy block heels or wedges. It takes the look to a new level.
- If it is cooler outside, or you may be sitting in air conditioning, pair your shorts with a blazer. Here I am wearing this White House Black Market crisp white jacket and I loved the ruffle detail. Add more color with a blazer or fitted peplum top.
- If you don’t want to wear a heel ( block or otherwise) pair it with a wedge or for flats, a pointed toe. This will elongate the leg!
- Confidence is key. No matter what size one may be, if you are happy with what you are wearing it will show. If you are fine with your legs, or like them, why not wear some shorts!
Linking Up with Visible Monday, Still Being Molly, Not Dressed as Lamb SHoe andTell , How I Spring Manic Monday, Monday MingleLinkup with Lisa Tues: Garaytreasures Link Up Style Sessions,Walking in Memphis Bless Her Heart Wed: The Pleated Poppy, Get Your Pretty On, Style Me Wednesday Watcha Wearing Wednesday, Jersey Girl Texan Heart Trendy Wednesday Momsmorningcoffee Thurs: A Labour of Fashion,Reason to Dress, Throwback Thursday Friday:Passion 4 Fashion ,Style Elixer Fun Fashion Friday / Forage Fashion, My Fancy FrIDAY
Outfit details: Jacket: White House Black Market, Seafoam top: The Limited, Shorts: LOFT, Bag: Kate Spade, Shoes: Zara.
I would greatly appreciate everyone commenting on 3 blog posts each week! Love the community and inspiration we share!
Today: Most Clicked: My friend Monika, from Styleworld40plus, pairs a shade of sky blue with some chinos for a lovely daytime look.
Pinterest Pic of the Week:, My friend Ani, in her blog, Fluerani shares her magical etherial look in an all white embroidered dress. Love the pics!