Thinking that I almost went into journalism, it makes me quite happy I didn’t follow that route. I feel the media these days, is about sensationalism causing fear and panic to the public. I believe you have to be informed, but at the same time, not listen to the news 24-7. Know what you have to do, and stay inside. So, in the meantime, what can you do with the time you spend inside and not totally lose your sanity?
My hubby and I work from home. He is in IT and works remotely, so we are usually home at least half the day. We are taking walks with the pups, and I will soon put down mulch and tend to the rose bushes. Anything to get outside too! Otherwise, here are a few of my other suggestions.
LOFT is having a sale and there are some great soft pieces by Lou and Grey. Maybe shopping for clothes is the last thing on your mind, but it can be a fun outlet and we do need some of that.
Also, think about the small businesses in your town. Order food for pickup or delivery and show your support.
What to Do at Home
- Call a friend and relative– It is so important during this time to be connected. Not just texting and emailing, but here’s a novel idea, using the phone! Isolation and less social activity can be lonely and depressing, so it is important to call and communicate with family and friends. Support is so important and really helps a person if they can talk to someone else.
- Listen to music or play music– Time now to pick up my guitar more and work on a song to two. I’ve also been enjoying listening to different bands – my favorite swing bands, Neil Young, Simon and Garfunkel, my favorite rock bands like Def Leppard and Boston. I also listen to a fair amount of Jazz, and if you are interested in a woman jazz guitar player- check out Emily Remler, she was my inspiration in college.
- Try a puzzle – I am not a puzzle girl, but my mom enjoys a puzzle or two. I did buy my Dad once upon a time, a 3d puzzle that is fun to do and a cool result at the end.
- Organize your Spring Wardrobe– I took 2 afternoons to switch my Fall- Winter wardrobe closet to my Spring closet. One remains in the guest room, and the current wardrobe is in my closet. I rearranged my space, got bins for my shoes and boots and it is ready! When I start a project I like to finish, so with all the standing and such, i couldn’t walk the next day, my legs hurt! So, don’t rush.. we’ve got TIME!
- Do some online “window shopping” Since people are not going to brick and mortar stores and malls, most will be shopping on-line. There will be many sales in stores- right now a Nordstrom sale -25% off. Start looking for those Spring items you wish to add to your wardrobe. Macy’s is 30% off, NYDJ also 30% off. I bought a white denim skirt. ( See Spring Wish list post) Nordstrom is 25% off.
- Play some board games- We used to love to play Trivial Pursuit, although my Dad would win all the time! I love Clue, Monopoly and we have Scrabble. Card games like Uno and your standard card games would be fun for the family.
- Continue to practice self- care- bath, give yourself a Spring pedicure, manicure in a Spring color. I have been using Essie Gel Couture and have a light rose pink on my nails now. On to the feet! I take Epsom salt baths daily and love a bubble bath. Listen to some music and unwind from some of this stress. I love the lavender salts.
- Home project – We have photos we want to hang in the Great Room, and need to print them on our Kodak printer. I also have to toss out spices and create a new spice rack. Because we were like an Amazon warehouse with what we order, we need to break down boxes and take it to the recycling center. Now, where is my personal robot? Wouldn’t you like it if you had one to do your chores or at least help?
- Play with your pets- It’s known that dogs and cats are not contracting corona virus, so take care of them as you would. My girl Truffles love to play with plush toyes, I was kicking them around the house and she was having fun fetching. My boy, Gibson loves to play “pillow ball” where I hide the ball under pillows. or is happy to lay next to me and cuddle. They sure are a comfort!
- Try baking or making a new recipe– My mom gave us her Kitchen Aid mixer, and I want to make quiche. I’ve never made it and thought that would be fun/ I also love cookies, so I see my mom’s molasses or ginger cookies in my near future!
- Exercise– videos online or as in my case my home gym. – Our neighborhood is very quiet, but there are people out walking their pups. We have been taking the pups for 2-3 mile walks and its good to get outside. If it is rainy, I have a Proform treadmill, kettlebells, medicine ball, weights that I use at home to work out. If you don’t have a home gym, try utilizing some videos through streaming or on-line. Maybe try a new exercise out for fun!
- Binge watch some tv shows. – I love some mysteries and have Acorn Tv ( British TV). Check out Midsommer Murders, Line of Duty. For Netflix- Watch The Pale Horse- ( Agatha Cristy) , The Outsider. ( HBO) and The Sinner ( AMC)
I’d Love to hear what kind of activities you are doing at home. Let me know in the comments.