Happy Friday friends!
If you haven’t begun to look through your wardrobe for Fall, it is getting near that time. I’m talking about how to prepare your closet for Fall and what you may want to add this Season.
So how has your week been? We have been out to West Bend Vineyards and had a great time listening to blues music and enjoying some Grenache and Sangiovese wines. We first had Sangiovese in Napa, and it is a favorite red. A young girl, age 3, was sitting on a blanket with her mom. Dad was nearby. The little girl asked if I wanted to color with her, and as had a book of princesses that she started to color. I talked with her and at the end of their visit, she asked, ” Are you coming back? Will I see you here again? I thought it was so cute! It made me smile.
Preparing Our Closet for Fall
There is something about purging some of our older or unwanted clothes each season, that makes you feel good. The idea is to have a closet full of items you love and want to wear.
You know the scene- You go into your closet, look at it in a daunting, frustrating manner, and don’t know what to wear. That can change!
I have either listed items on Poshmark to sell, or give to clothing to a charity like Goodwill.
This year, I have gone through my closet at each season, and asked myself these questions:
- Do I Love this item?
- Do I have many pieces in my closet that will go with it?
- How many ways can I style it?
- Is it timeless?
- Can it be worn in multiple seasons?
- Does it fit well? Fit is the most important thing when keeping a garment.
When it comes to donating or selling the item-
- Is it in good shape to sell?
- Should I toss it ( is there pilling? threads loose, holes?)
- Am I no longer excited about the garment?
- Is it out of style/date?
I can say that Poshmark and Thred Up are more of a “Buyers Market” with items at low prices to purchase. It takes a while to sell on Poshmark, unless you lower costs substantially, so keep that in mind. Here is the link to my Poshmark closet if you are interested.
So, now that you have donated or sold some of your older clothes, what are things you want to add to your closet for this upcoming season?
If you like to keep up with current trends, have a read of my post- 5 Trends of Fall 2019. These trends are very wearable! You won’t find any hot pink faux fur stoles ( unless you’re into that) this year.
My suggestion is Make a List. I am a list type of girl. I have always done this, so whether it’s in an “old-school notebook” or on your smartphone, have a list handy when you are ready to shop for Fall. Keep in mind your climate, your lifestyle, what trends you might want to incorporate, what you need that will carry you for years.
These are some things to consider :
- Layering pieces- I am adding these light turtlenecks from Mango, as they are great under blazers, moto jackets, or alone. The fabric is light and perfect for the Southern climate. Sleeveless solid midi dresses are great as well, as they can be worn under jackets, long dusters. I also love camisoles and have added neutral colors such a black, cream, and leopard print to my closet this year. Do you have enough layering pieces?
- Black booties– Every lady should own a pair of black booties as you will reach for them time and time again! I bought this pair by Dolce Vita and loved the leather and croc style. On sale!
- Blazers– Blazers are hot hot hot, this year. I have always been a blazer girl and remember having a camel and black plaid suit I loved to wear in college. Take stock of what you have and decide your color choice. I love the plaid blazers they are showing and find that grey and brown are very versatile with any wardrobe.
- Moto jacket- I love a great moto jacket and have a collection. I won’t add more this year, but will be styling them to wear with nearly everything from jeans to midi dresses and skirts. Black is a choice for many, but there are other warm fall tones that may look better on your complexion. I wore this chesnut brown moto this week and will take it out to style much this season.
- Cashmere- I want to add a few cashmere pieces this Fall and Winter. Not only is it lighter for the South, but oh, so luxurious!
- Denim– I have a fair amount of denim- split hem, tulip hem, bootcut and just added a pair of flare jeans. I got rid of jeans that were too loose or not as flattering. Find a jean with some stretch. I recently bought these Denizen jeans by Levi, which have a fair amount of stretch, but don’t stretch out to give you a “saggy bottom” by the end of the day! Fit is Key! On Sale for $25!
- Midi dresses- For me, I am looking to add a few midi dresses. I love the look of midi dresses with long boots and dresses that I can wear for more than one season. Add a moto jacket or a long duster and you have a wonderful Fall look. Love this black and white dress!
Tell me, How have you prepared your closet for Fall?
Have a wonderful weekend!