30 Sep Spotlight On: Over 40 Style: Jodie of Jodies Touch of Style
- I usually begin by finding out how you decided on a name for your blog, but it doesn’t take a Brain Surgeon to know why you named it, haha! JTouchofStyle right? If you could tell the readers why you got into fashion blogging? After I retired from dentistry, I always said I’d love to take women shopping and help them with their outfits. Yes, I’d call shopping an addiction!! Yet, I can’t even remember how I found out about bloggers and blogging. However, once I started looking into it, I thought it might be a fun way to share my love of clothing!!
- I love the unique concept of your blog, Jodie, where you style you mother, Charlotte, 70, and your stepmom, Nancy, 60. What made you decide to show all 3 decades?
Well this was my brainstorm for a couple of reasons. One of the reasons was because then, all of the attention wouldn’t be focused on me! I’m sure anyone who has never been a model can relate to that!!
But the other reason was I really wanted to show that age shouldn’t be a consideration about being stylish! When I was cleaning out both mom’s & Nancy’s closets, I realized that even though we were different, we were still quite the same. I don’t mean to be philosophical, but we all have to get dressed, and there are only a certain amount of items we can wear. So why not make sure the clothes you pick look wonderful??
3. How do you choose a theme to share on your blog? When I first started this adventure, I’d pick out clothing items that all 3 of us already had in our closets. I still do that to a degree, but now I will buy products to actually showcase for the themes. I’ve also had a couple of requests from readers for a style or theme, which really makes my day!! I always love a challenge, so it’s fun to come up with different ideas & how to present them.
- Tell the readers about a time where you found it a challenge to style everyone . Well, the challenge can be that I get an idea in my head, yet it doesn’t always play out perfectly with the clothing. For instance, one frustrating time was when I was trying to style our leggings for the post to show them with a short hemline. I just didn’t love how the outfits pulled together. But I think we can all relate to that challenge. Who hasn’t had the times, when they’ve tried on multiple outfits and had clothes strewn around the room?
- Now that Fall is approaching, what can’t you wait to wear? As an avid knitter, I love the cooler weather for the fact that I can pull out my hand knit sweaters! I don’t stop knitting in the summer, but I don’t get to show off my creations as often when it’s hot outside!
6. NYFW was just upon us, were there any trends that you loved that you want to incorporate into your blog? I will admit that I don’t always follow all the new trends from Fashion Week very religiously. However, I did notice that velvet was making a comeback, and that’s a material that the three of us could easily incorporate into our closets!
- Where do you get your inspiration for styling the 3 ladies ( yourself included)? My inspiration varies! My mom & Nancy now will give me suggestions about items they’ve seen or already have in their closets which is very helpful. Of course I read many other blogs and get tons of inspiration from others (including you, Jess!!). I also love people watching, and will sometimes come up with ideas based upon the women I see out and about! The funny thing is I was worried about having enough material to keep this blog going when I first started. And now, there are times I feel I can’t do all the themes I’ve imagined!
You mention your fair skin on your blog. ( I’ve been blessed as well). Do you have any tips for women with fair skin, any suggestions on colors that may not be as appealing? I confess that I’m not always cognizant about which colors look best on me. I think I’m getting better, but I always hate to limit myself to only certain colors! I certainly steer away from black, but if I am wearing it, I’ll try to add a scarf or another piece close to my face that works better with my complexion!
- Have there been any trends you have tried that the ladies weren’t fond of? Why? Ahhh…this is a good one Jess! The list for this question could go on and on—ha ha! But I’ll keep it short. My mom snubbed her nose at the open shoulder shirts when I first brought her shirt over to her. But after she wore it around for a day, she admitted that she really liked it (score one for me). In Nancy’s case, just recently she was not pleased at all about wearing her graphic t-shirt with her glitter skirt. She made it well known that she was only doing it for me!! But both of them, are good sports and love me dearly! (Of course they have no other kids, so I’m the one to decide which home to put them in when they get older—ha ha!!)
10. You have certainly shown with your blog, that fashion transcends age. What are your thoughts on age-appropriateness with fashion? Should we be able to wear anything? ( no spandex please!) Truthfully, it’s only since blogging and reading other blogs, that I’ve gotten less judgmental about other women’s style and what is appropriate. I love the idea that we should have fun with our clothing and style, and really show more of our personality through what we wear. So the answer to your question: Forget your age—but keep it looking fabulous!!
11. Tell the readers what you might do to transform a spring dress to Fall? My initial reaction is to add layers to make a spring dress work for autumn. In the past, I’d only think to add a cardigan over top of the dress, but I’m trying to be more adventuresome now! I recently added a thin sweater under a dress for a future blog post. And I’ve even been wearing my ankle boots with dresses!! That’s certainly progress for me!
12. Shoes or purses? Over the Knee boots or booties? I’m a shoe girl through & through. It’s only lately that I even think about what my purse looks like with the outfit!! As for the boots—I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I like the OTK boots! I think they are unexpected for women my age; besides they keep me warmer in the winter!!
- What are some key elements that make up your style Jodie? I always like to say that my personality isn’t one dimensional, and thus my clothing style shouldn’t be either! However, the truth is, I’m a shoeaholic, so a fun pair of shoes could be that key element!!
14. Thank you for being my Spotlight On Over 40 Fashion blogger. Is there anything else you would like to share with the readers? Did you know after 8 min of speed dating that your husband was “the one”? Love to hear that story! It’s true my husband and I met at an 8 Minute Dating Event. Since I attended with two other girlfriends, the joke is he’s also dated my friends!! I wouldn’t say that we had a special connection at our 8 minutes but I did consider him a nice guy! I happened to be dating a couple other guys at that time, so I’m lucky he thought me special enough to make an effort. He’s definitely made me a better person in our 12 years together!
Have a great weekend!