If you have been following, or you are a new reader, I do a monthly series, called “Spotlight On; Over 40” where I like to interview my over 40 friends/bloggers and get their input and fashion sense.
Today I am happy to present my interview with my bellisma amica, Val of Fashion and Cookies blog. I have gotten to know Val a little bit more this year, through her wonderful elegant and chic style, along with the beauty tips she shares on her blog. We have similiar styles and I wanted the readers to get to know more about Val. She has great style with many feminine looks and also some fun, chic, street style fashion as well. I know she has fun with fashion, which we all need to do! We both have a love for color and accessories, so I hope you enjoy this interview.
Well, the first question I had to ask her was obvious, as these are two of my favorite things as well!!
( ^^Ok, I want that bag in that color!)
1. Please tell the readers how you came up with the title for your blog “Fashion and Cookies”, are these two of your favorite things? … what kind of cookies? ( wink)
I opened my blog by impulse, and was looking for something simple and catchy, so I chose this title because both Fashion and Cookies make my life…sweeter and better, plus I cannot have enough of them ! My favorite cookies are chocolate chips ones by the way 😉
2. Your fashion is very current and colorful. Have you always loved to wear colorful outfits and what colors do you find most flattering on you?
I had my “all black” period when I was a teenager, but the more I grew up the more I found out I felt better when I was wearing colorful outfits. The colors that are flattering on me better are without any doubt royal blue, red and emerald green
3. I know we both follow trends, tell me your favorite trend right now and your least favorite.
I am loving the high waisted pants and skirts, the plaid prints and the least favorite trend is the one that sees the return of the “fanny pack”, or waist pack. I usually carry roomy bags and they are enough !
4. People say fashion comes full circle. What fashion or style do you think should have stayed in the era it belonged?
I agree that fashion keeps taking inspiration from the past decades, and I admit I enjoy to travel in time with clothes and accessories. Surely something like big shoulder pads from 80s should stay there where they belonged ! But I do have embarrassing pics from when I was a young teen with football player-like shoulders 😉
5. You are also a beauty blogger. Tell use 3 great skin care tips you can share with ladies over 40.
I am a fan of serums, especially the very hydrating and plumping ones with hyaluronic acid.
I always remove my makeup before going to sleep with great care and I feel it’s important in my skincare routine. Third, I use a specific cream for the eye contour and I apply it day and night, the eye contour is one of the weakest areas for the ladies, and it gets worse with time
6.What beauty products do you feel are essential to you?
I could never be without a moisturizing cream, the right foundation that covers without being too heavy – I use a liquid one, a dose of black mascara and lipstick. A touch of red lipstick makes me feel better straight away.
7. Tell us some of your favorite places to shop?
I love to shop in so many places, both offline and online. My favorite online places to shop are Shopbop and Asos. I also buy at Zara, H&M, Mango and other low cost shops, but I also love our Made in Italy brands that offer great quality. I am usually more on the luxury side when it comes to my accessories – especially bags and shoes, and on some important sartorial pieces like coats.
8. When styling an outfit, what are the steps you go through, or do you find it easy just to put things together?
I have to say I find it quite easy to put things together, but I often start from a detail and I rarely plan what I will be wearing before, I like to do it just before I have to go out, I feel when I am pressured my mind works better !
9. You live in Italy, what are some of the biggest differences with the way Italians dress as opposed to Americans?
Some of my favorite bloggers are american and I have to say in general I can’t see so many differences. Anyway, I think Americans give more importance also to the practical side of the outfits – they are very good at turning a daytime look into a nighttime one without having to change too many things. On holidays, I see they are dressed in a more comfortable and relaxed way whereas we are not – and I also have to remind myself I need to walk a lot when I am a tourist and have to bring comfy shoes and clothes. Sometimes we tend to overdress, Americans seem to know better than sometimes less is more and on this I want to learn from them !
10. Jeans: If you had to pick 2 styles to have in your wardrobe, what would they be and why?
I have always been a fan of high waisted jeans, they suit me better because I am have a tiny waistline compared to hips and back, and I think they are much more feminine and flattering. Not to mention I hate it when underwear sticks out from low waisted pants. So, I will pick high waisted and also skinny jeans because they look great both with sneakers and with high heels.
11. Have you been to Milan, and what is the style of dress there as it is such a fashion hub?
Yes, I have. When I think about how to dress in Milan I think about clean silhouettes, designer pieces that are made to last, perfectly tailored clothes that fit, not too large and not too small, and quality fabrics. Modern elegance.
12. Tell me about why you started your blog and what you wish to share with your readers. Why is fashion important to you?
I wanted a creative outlet for my fashion adventures and it seemed a fun idea to show my looks to people from all over the world. My hubby encouraged me to open the blog since I was already giving fashion advice to friends and family. Fashion is important to me because it’s basically a way to express myself, it’s the way we introduce ourselves to the world. It’s a serious matter I like to live in a fun way 😉
13. Fall is many people’s favorite season, at least for fashion. What are 3 of your favorite must haves for this season?
I love scarves, they can truly change a look, ankle boots or just boots, there are so many styles to explore, and coats, I love to wear coats and I have so many…camel coats being a favorite of mine, but the latest one I purchased is striped and very colorful !
Have a wonderful weekend!
Happy Halloween, let’s just make sure our fashion isn’t too scary!!