As we head into the Fall months, perhaps you are overhauling your wardrobe, or looking to add those key staples that make getting dressed a lot easier. I will be talking about certain basics with a company soon on the blog, but in the meantime, let me tell you what I reach for in my closet, as basic building blocks.
How has your week been? Its been a bit slow this week for me, but we do tend to go out twice a week to eat or for drinks. Yesterday was in the 40s in the morning! Brrr. I am not complaining! After you hit menopause, a cool breeze feels good!
On some of my days where I am not feeling up to par, I have been enjoying the Acorn channel. Love my English Mysteries!
Now on to your Fall wardrobe! …
For Fall, we can rely on certain “uniforms” to make dressing easier as well. Having these items in your closet can help you put together looks. Once you have the building blocks, then you can add trends or other “fun” items.
1. White button-down shirt. I say that every lady should own a white button-down shirt. I do love silk but the button down doesn’t have to be. A white button-down will be a workhorse for outfits in the Fall, as you can style them numerous ways.
Wear them with a moto jacket- add layers in the Fall and by wearing a white button-down with a moto jacket, you have a put-together look without much effort. Add some pearls or a statement necklace and a dark pair of jeans.
Another way to wear a white button-down is underneath a sweater. I have several cashmere sweaters and I like to add a white button-down underneath as a classic pairing and again, a more stylish look. Some structured or plaid trousers are a great uniform with this look.
- Moto Jackets- One great moto jacket that you can repeat wear in the Fall is a great staple. Most ladies love the black leather moto, but if you are like me, and have a fairer complexion, why not go with color? I have motos in chestnut brown and burgundy and they are warmer against my skin, but still make a stylish impact. There are so many in suede and leather, as well as faux leather.
Pair a moto jacket with the above, or wear with a midi dress and booties for Fal. I love the look of a dark floral dress with a moto jacket and boots.
Wear a moto jacket with basics, over a solid cashmere sweater and jeans. You still have a look that will take you into the weekend but looks more polished.
BlankNYC from Nordstrom Faux leather moto jacket. Also comes in Faun color.
3. Black booties- if there is one shoe staple you will wear over and again in the Fall, it will be the black bootie. There is quite the gamut out there with all heel heights and styles. I love a block heel or a smaller heel to make walking easier. Think about the heel height you want, and I myself, prefer leather over suede or fake leather.
Wear black booties with anything! I love to wear them with jeans, dresses, trousers, nearly most outfits.
These Steve Madden leather boots have a nice lower heel profile. You can also get a pair of Jambu black booties for 15% using code EDSF19 on Jambu.com
- Dark denim– I think of this as a staple, as I have various styles of denim in my closet- flare, split hem, raw edge, waxed denim. I do love a darker wash as I feel they are easier to style as a dressed-up jean. I love dark denim with a modern twist and have a few pairs with a split hem making them more fashionable. The main consideration with denim is that it fits you to a tee, and is hemmed accordingly in needed. ( one pet peeve is seeing someone in a flare jean where the heel of the shoe disappears! Do you know what i mean?) I’d love to do a post on my favorite denim if you, the readers are interested. ( Let me know in the comments)
These Wit and Wisdom jeans are a favorite brand of mine. Change it up from skinny jeans to a classic pair of boot cut.
- Cardigans- These are great staples to add to your layering in the Fall months. I love the Long cardigan dusters that come in an array of colors. You can get them in every length, but these look wonderfully stylish with long dresses, camisoles underneath, or a pretty shell. If you are a bit more casual, a soft tee can be worn under the cardigan. It’s just one of those layering pieces you can wear often, and if you love going to the movies, grab it, you’ll need it!
Since I am in a warmer climate, the lighter long duster works great with dresses, jeans etc. This one is under $25 from Target and comes in 4 colors.
6. Scarves– This is another layering piece that you will reach for in the Fall months. Add a scarf to your long cardigan, cami, and jeans. Blanket scarves not only add some wonderful color but additional warmth as the weather gets colder.
This fab leopard scarf can help you layer and add additional print to your Fall look. Remember animal print is a neutral and goes with nearly everything! This scarf is $25!
7. Basic Knit dress- You don’t have to spend a lot to get a lovely basic knit dress for layering into the Fall. See this chestnut knit dress I bought from Target. You can add layers to this look, patterned stockings, and have a great base for an outfit. Add a long vest, a moto jacket or kimono and you have a toasty Fall outfit! Here is the POST with me styling this very knit dress.
This dress from Target is now on SALE for under $20! I love the Fall color.
- Trousers– Depending on your lifestyle, this can be a pair of black trousers, some plaid pants, or perhaps a pair of faux leather pants which are quite popular. This staple will be easy to pull from your closet and mix with many tops and sweaters.
These faux leather trousers from Mango will give you a staple that is a bit more exciting that your basic black pants. And a bit more modern!
What items are you adding to your Fall closet? Do you have these Fall staples?
We may be heading to Blowing Rock this weekend, a town about an hour and a half away. Local artisans, restaurants in a quaint mountain town makes for a lovely afternoon. For me!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
**Affiliate links. These links are shopping links for you to enjoy. By clicking on the links, the blog may make a small commission at no cost to you.