13 Feb Turning Heads Linkup- 4 Year Blog Anniversary and Valentine Look
Well tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and I decided to wear another Valentine look. I thought I would talk about what i am wearing and also let you know it is my 4 year Blog Anniversary! I had mentioned in a prior post, that it has been 10 years since I had been diagnosed with EDS, and 4 years ago as i began to write this blog. At the time, I thought it sounded like a fun hobby. I didn’t have a ton of expectations, only to meet other ladies with a similar interest in fashion, and to enjoy being creative. I needed my mind to go somewhere other than to the pain I was experiencing. Today, I thought I would discuss what i have learned in 4 years of blogging. Just a little teaser, I’ll be attending a Blogger event in NYC in March, so in the near future, I will share what brand and the exciting time we have planned!
My hubby takes my pictures for the blog, and you can see the growth in his photography since we first began taking shots. Today may not be the best example, as we did this week’s photos at 4 pm. This is a bit late in the day, and the pics are a bit hazy. So, I need to get my butt out of the house by 2 or earlier!
So before I get into what I have learned from blogging, I want to talk about this outfit. The purse and booties are new, the rest is older from my closet. I thought this Banana Republic chiffon roses cardi would be a lovely Valentine style and the flirty black skirt a classic accompaniment. I decided to forgo a necklace, as the roses themselves stand out along the neckline.
Since i had seen these circle bags on the runway, I was determined to find one for myself, but since they are a bit trendy, ( read my post on Circle Bags-Trending Now), I didn’t want to spend a lot. Enter Poshmark. I found this adorable Zara embroidered floral circle bag and scored it for $35! I love this little vintage shape, and enough room for what i would carry in a clutch.
Seeing many bloggers wearing leopard booties, I was influenced!I really do ask myself, do I lOVE it? If i answer yes, and i can see myself wearing them with what exists in my closet, then its a win! I loved the darker leopard print, and the block heel. I will be wearing these often, and i wanted to add a bit of a surprise to my outfit as you might expect a black or red shoe/boot.. the leopard is a fun alternative!
I loved the chiffon roses on this red Banana Republic cardigan.
Speaking of Zara, I decided to buy these leopard block heeled booties. I didn’t own a pair of leopard booties and thought these would get a ton of wear with my wardrobe. I did pay full retail.. which I don’t often do!
Some things I have learned from Blogging for 4 years.
- Some people think it is easy. How hard can it be, you get your hubby to take some pictures and upload them, right? Well, initially i had no idea how much time blogging 3 days a week would take. Writing, editing photos, posing for the photoshoot, styling an outfit, thinking of topics..promoting on social media, answering comments.. etc.. takes a considerable amount of time!
- All brands I work with are not created equal. I won’t name names, but some are so organized, wonderful to work with , and on the ball when it comes to answering emails and sending product in a timely manner. Others, are not as good. Most, are great to work with, and I do make note of the brands I enjoy collaborating with.
- Don’t compare. It can be a natural thing to do so, but if it hinders your ability to blog, or makes you stressed filled with anxiety, it isn’t worth it! I just say to myself, I am doing the best I can, and am happy with the quality I am producing, so there is no need to compare myself to others. Blogging should be fun!
- Social media is not my favorite. To be honest, I would love if I just dealt with the blog and didn’t have to use social media. Maybe I am “old school”, but I sometimes feel like I could be spending my time on something more worthwhile with all of the time it takes and if i start to think about all of the numbers, amount of followers, hashtags, reposting etc.. it can cause me anxiety!
- Love meeting other bloggers. I think of it as the “modern day penpal” sometimes meeting wonderful ladies in other countries, states, that I wouldn’t have met if it wasn’t for blogging.
- It is a wonderful creative outlet. I love to experiment with fashion, and be creative with my outfits. Blogging has opened my eyes to new ways of styling my clothes, stepping out of my comfort zone, as well as being inspired by other bloggers.
- I have enjoyed writing on midlife topics, other than fashion. Writing has always been an interest of mine, and I enjoy the conversational nature of blogging.
- Affiliate income is good for keeping the blog going, sometimes a few accessories, but it is difficult to make a living at blogging.
- Grateful for the opportunities I have working with brands, meeting people and upcoming events I am looking forward to!
- My hubby takes my blog pictures and he has improved and learned more as the years went by. Here is my FIRST POST!
- Blogging is a lot of fun!
THANKS FOR BEING HERE AND LET’S HAVE A FUN PARTY! I DO ASK THAT YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE LINKUP BY COMMENTING ON 2 BLOGS PER PERSON. ITS ONLY POLITE, AND THAT’S HOW YOU NETWORK OR MAKE SOMEONE’S DAY!
Most clicked: Gail of Is This Mutton Blog
Pinterest pic- Nailil of Thirty Minus One blog