03 Nov Shopping for Less as a Fashion Blogger
( this outfit- this tweed jacket was from LaFayetteNY149- I bought on Poshmark-originally $250, I paid $50, and my Rebecca minkoff bag – bought on eEbay)
One thing i know about this time of year, is that it is my favorite time for styling outfits. I love that you can be creative with layering, prints, color choices, and love the fabrics associated with Fall-tweed, leather, cashmere, velvet… If you were to look at my closet, you would assume I am from the North as the have more fall/winter clothes than I do Spring/Summer. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, but have been living in Charlotte for 15 years now. Dressing for this season ( or any other) doesn’t have to cost a fortune, even as a Fashion blogger, if you know where to look for deals!
Trench -Anthropologie bought on poshmark
One thing I have realized over almost 4 years of blogging is that as a blogger there is a lot of temptation out there when it comes to buying clothes, shoes, bags etc. I see it everyday! However, I have self-control! ( at times) and stick to a budget each month. I do enjoy adding trends to my closet, and will often shop at Zara for some of those items.
Also, it is easy to get taken in by the latest “it” bag, shoes, etc, but I do appreciate individuality and don’t want something that “everyone’ may be wearing. Another way as a fashion blogger I save and say true to the way I shop is that I often buy second hand, so plenty of the items I see bloggers wear may be newly out in stores and selling now. Just keep in mind, there are also many “lookalike’ or similar items out there at a lesser cost, just don’t sacrifice on quality.
How do I keep to a budget, yet consistantly style outfits for the blog? Is there a money tree in my backyard? No! I know how to shop smartly and where to shop so I don’t spend a fortune on things.
Woven clutch and Zara booties bought on poshmark
Here are some tips on how I shop for less:
- You have heard me go on about Poshmark. Read about it HERE. It is a US site, a kind of on-line thrift store where sellers sell new, lightly used items. It is the best of both worlds for me, as because of my condition, I can’t stand in thrift or consignment stores as standing puts too much pressure on my muscles and causes overload/pain. By shopping there, I save and can make offers to buyers to only spend what i want to spend. I have bought this silk blouse and this velvet jacket on Poshmark.
- I use Coupon codes and Promotion codes. You can search for coupon codes via www. retailmenot.com or also use the store’s promotion.
- Shop using Ebates. Ebates is a company that will give you cash back ( certain percentages) for certain stores. If you are already a shopper at Loft for example, you would just go to Ebates, sign up and click from the store to the site you buy from. A check is issued after a certain time period.
- EBAY- I used to do more shopping on Ebay and still go there for handbags. I was a member of the Purse Forum, which is a forum of women who like handbags and want to talk about it! They may be able to tell you if it is authentic if you purchase from ebay or other sites. I have bought several Kate Spade bags from Ebay. They, like Poshmark have a Buy it Now button or make an offer. If you do buy shoes on Ebay, make sure the seller has a return policy, unless you are certain of the brand’s size.
- Bonanza– bonanza is a site that has sellers listing their goods. This is another place I have bought a handbag.
- Wait for bigger sales like the Nordstrom annual sale, Black friday- on the internet ( I never go out this day, too maddening!)
- Buy end of Season. Just like after Christmas you can find amazing deals or Christmas decor, waiting until the end of the season, there can be big markdowns! ( this one is tough as you have to have patience..)
Balenciaga City bag bought on Bonanza
Kate Spade qulited bag on Ebay
What i also keep in mind these days is asking myself before I buy:
What else will go with this in my closet?
Is this a quality piece that is going to last?
Can I mix and match this item?
I hope this has given you some ideas on how to shop for less. As a fashion blogger, there is temptation all around! So many cute pairs of shoes, handbags etc.. but smart shopping will make it more enjoyable and save money in the end.
How do you shop for less?
Have a great weekend!