27 Jul Things I Love About Summer
Happy Friday Ladies
Keeping it a bit light today as I have been encountering a few sleepless nights due to Perimenopause or maybe Menopause, we don’t quite know yet. My doc seems to think at 50 I am still in Peri, I beg to differ. I do think the term “Hot Flash” is not accurate however, as there is no “flash” but rather a long drawn out evening of Night Sweats! Such is life! Anyhow, I thought I would talk about what I love about Summer!
Being that this year and summer is going by a bit quickly, and it is almost August, I thought it would be fun to talk about what I am enjoying.
- Farmers Markets and outdoor stands- We love going to the Farmer’s Market in town or making our way to the nearest corner store for our fruits and veggies! I can not get enough watermelon, cantaloupe and peaches! I am Queen of the watermelon! Besides cutting up the tasty treat in squares and getting seedless watermelon, we enjoy making muddled watermelon martinis and freezing some for cubes . Yum!
- Vineyards- I am very much a red wine girl and my tastes have changed in what varietals I enjoy. I love learning about various regions and North Carolina now has over 100 Vineyards! Read about one of NC Vineyards in this POST.
- Sangria- Speaking of wine, I make my own Sangria recipe and it is so easy and good! You can use red or white, add peaches, strawberries, berries – add a bottle of cab or pinot noir for red, pinot grigio or chardonnay for white, and peach schnaps. I let it sit overnight in the fridge.
- Dining Al fresco– Another thing I enjoy is being able to sit outside and enjoy a meal. Lots of great restaurants have outdoor and patio seating and more are getting or are dog friendly, so we take advantage of bringing the puppies to hang out. If i could eat outside year round i would!
- The Sun. Sitting outside on our porch to work on the blog is so enjoyable. I listen to the birds and just love being outside! It beats the confinement of the Winter months when it’s too cold to be on the deck.
- Reading– I LOVE Handmaids Tale, and think that Elizabeth Moss is great in the role! (Still don’t you love Aunt Lydia?) I began reading the book by Margaret Atwood and love all of the details you don’t see in the show. I’ve loved Moss since seeing her play Peggy on Mad Men. I need to get Kindle unlimited or my mom mentioned the program Libby, which offers free books.
- Ice Cream Stands- We love taking the pups to Bruesters in the summer. They have doggy ice cream treats, which is basically a milkbone treat with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. But, they love it! They don’t lift their heads out of the cup the whole time!
- Pool– Our pool in the development is open May 1 ( a bit early!) to the end of Sept. It is nice to cool off and just read – plus swimming or just being in the warm pool is great on my muscles! Read about my collaboration with Rose Fulbright, a British Luxury designer, who sent me a handmade/painted Kimono for the pool. Read post HERE
- Light nights. I love that the day is longer and it doesn’t get dark early. I am truly a Fall Girl at heart, but do appreciate this time of year for this reason!
- Summer Concerts– Well, you read about my experience at the Def Leppard/Journey Concert, but here I am talking about outdoor concerts. Charlotte has a great amphitheatre and we have Summer Concerts by the Charlotte Symphony I love attending. We last went to hear Broadway Shows- and I can listen to songs from Phantom and Rogers and Hammerstein over and over!
- Wearing dresses. Blog photos can be a challenge in the summer from too much sun to too much sweat, ( glowing) but i love to wear dresses and am enjoying linen/keeping cool this time of year. Read about Stying a Safari dress Here.
- Vacations! – Many times we go to the beach or somewhere new to explore, as the last two summers I wrote about our vacation to Savannah and Tybee Island, as well as the summer vacation prior to The Outer Banks. ( read post) This year we are planning a trip in October to Europe. I love to explore new places and get away! Everyone needs to take a break!
- Lemoncello- My mom introduced me to this Italian liquor. It’s very refreshing and so good!
- Taking the puppies with us- I love sitting outside at restaurants with the pups. So fun to bring them along
These are just a few things I love and would love to hear what you enjoy about Summer before it comes to a close!
Pop over to the Turning Heads Tuesday Linkup if you havent had a chance to sit and read through the blogs. Available all week.
Have a great weekend!